New Product Hits & Misses
With over 50,000 products in the average supermarket, people don’t have the time, or the money, to test every product on the shelves and with 15,000 new products every year consumers need to know what’s out there!
So Phil does the testing and the tasting for you and gives the product a rating out of 100 so you know what you can expect when you try something new!
SupermarketGuru does not sell the foods we review, nor receive any compensation from the manufacturers for reviewing or rating them. Phil taste-tests and judges each product based on the following 8 criteria:
1. (30 points) Taste: The most important attribute of any food
2. (20 points) Value: Is it worth it?
3. (15 points) Health: Based off the nutritional information, is it nutritionally balanced?
4. (15 points) Ingredients: What’s in it, how natural is it?
5. (5 points) Preparation: When applicable, how accurate or good are the directions *
6. (5 points) Appearance: Is it appetizing and does it resemble its photo or description
7. (5 points) Packaging: Is it appropriate for the product and does it have any benefits such as resealability, added freshness, better storage, etc.
8. (5 Points) Sustainability: Is the packaging biodegradable, is it wasteful, is the company endeavoring to offset their carbon footprint?
* products that do not have any preparation will have the full value of these points included in their total score To see more New Product Hits & Misses visit: http://www.supermarketguru.com
This product is a HIT! Alter Eco not only tastes great, but they want to do great. The Canaan Cooperative farmers just northeast of Jerusalem handpick their olives and through their fair trade olive oil program produce this 100% organic, fair trade certified and carbon neutral olive oil. That should be enough to ensure success but with just one taste of this very clean flavor and aroma you’ll understand why this product is a hit and you will also wonder why more brands dont follow their example. Retails for about $14.00 Alter Eco Americas, San Francisco, CA 415-701-1212
This product is a HIT! Okay close your eyes. Stick out your tongue. And taste. I guarantee that this combination of dried figs, orange juice, lemon and lime will make your taste buds very happy. With zero fat, zero cholesterol, zero sodium and only 6 g of sugars this may well be a perfect spread. Retails for $7.99 The Gracious Gourmet, Bridgewater, CT 860-350-1213
This product is a HIT! All you soda drinkers out there listen up. You might have been disappointed by other sparkling tea-based beverages that have tried to steal you away from the soda that you grew up with but TeaZer, get it, Tea – Zer, is different. Yes it has 90 calories and 22 g of carbs but this organic tea-based beverage is what you want to be drinking this summer, it actually tastes like tea should and is very satiating. Retails for $5.49 for a 4 pack. Santa Cruz Natural, Chico, CA 530-889-5000
This product is a HIT! I love Ciao Bella and I love gelato, and I love key lime pie. Put them all together and what do we get for this summer? One of the best ciao Bella flavors yet. Don’t even think about adding chocolate or any other kind of sauce — this is great just the way it comes in the container. I only wish they made it in gallons, and put a plastic or foil inner liner on the top to keep all that greatness perfect. Retails for $4.99. Ciao Bella, Irvington, NJ 1-800-GELATO-3
This product is a HIT! You already know that I grew up in New York. What you probably didn’t know is when I started out working for my dad I had to call on the food distributors in the Bronx and Hunts point markets. One of my favorite treats was being able to buy freshly made garlic pickles. Now you and I can make them ourselves with the DZ pickle kit. They make it so simple and so delicious. Now before you get nervous take a look all you do is add 5 pounds of fresh cucumbers, garlic and add their special brine. Comes with enough brine to make 3 gallon jars and in two days they are ready! Yes it’s expensive at $25 a kit but if you love pickles you’ll be hooked forever. Retails for $24.99 DZ Pickles, Sherman Oak, CA 800-742-5535 http://www.dzpickles.com
Duration : 0:3:40