New Product Hits & Misses
With over 50,000 products in the average supermarket, people don’t have the time, or the money, to test every product on the shelves and with 15,000 new products every year consumers need to know what’s out there! So Phil does the testing and the tasting for you and gives the product a rating out of 100 so you know what you can expect when you try something new! SupermarketGuru does not sell the foods we review, nor receive any compensation from the manufacturers for reviewing or rating them. Phil taste-tests and judges each product based on the following 8 criteria:
1. (30 points) Taste: The most important attribute of any food
2. (20 points) Value: Is it worth it?
3. (15 points) Health: Based off the nutritional information, is it nutritionally balanced?
4. (15 points) Ingredients: What’s in it, how natural is it?
5. (5 points) Preparation: When applicable, how accurate or good are the directions *
6. (5 points) Appearance: Is it appetizing and does it resemble its photo or description
7. (5 points) Packaging: Is it appropriate for the product and does it have any benefits such as resealability, added freshness, better storage, etc.
8. (5 Points) Sustainability: Is the packaging biodegradable, is it wasteful, is the company endeavoring to offset their carbon footprint?
* products that do not have any preparation will have the full value of these points included in their total score To see more New Product Hits & Misses visit: http://www.supermarketguru.com
This product is a MISS! Im a huge fan of Jones sodas they are typically more flavorful and they use real sugar, but the new Jones GABA (which stands for Gamma Amino Butyric Acid) is a miss. This product touts focus and clarity, but the reality is that I dont care how much GABA there is it tastes horrible and by the way the nectarine flavor is not from nectarine juice, but from grape juice with natural flavors. Retails for $2.99. Jones Soda Co., Seattle, WA 800 656 6050
This product is a HIT! I like butter and I like olive oil so this product was a very interesting concept. We’ve already seen mayonnaise and olive oil – so this is logical. Land O Lakes Butter with Olive Oil tastes good, no question. Im still wondering how I would use it besides on bread. I didn’t try to cook with it – but that’s next. It does contain almost half the amount of saturated fat of regular butter, which is great. Retails for $2.59. Land O Lakes, Inc., Arden Hills, MN 800 328 4155
This product is a HIT! If you are looking for a fresh tasting crunchy relish this is the one! Tis Tasty, which is made in Oregon is not too vinegary and with BBQ time upon us, this might just be the perfect no fat condiment for your hot dogs and hamburgers. Retails for $4.50. Tis Tasty, LLC, Gold Beach, OR 877 364 0422
This product is a HIT! The concept behind Garlic Gold (combining toasted garlic with olive oil and sea salt) is brilliant. This recipe though, is a just a tiny bit off; there is just a pinch too much sea salt – but still worth your time and tasting. It has a great aroma and without doubt adds great crunch and flavor to salads, pastas and even a baked potato. Retails for $5.49. Seven Oaks Farm, Ventura, CA 800 695 7673
This product is a HIT! The only mistake this company has made is not putting this great tasting, satisfying, gluten free snack mix in a clear bag so we could see just how great it is. It is made from yellow peas and chick peas and loaded with green peas and peanuts and it has a nice, spicy burn AND has 5 grams of protein per serving. It is made Down Under; you know thats what the Aussies call their homeland. It gets a thumbs up from me! Retails for $2.95. MJS America, LLC, Buffalo Grove, IL 847 307 5216
Duration : 0:2:40